or the SUPER EASY way to cook raw shrimp
We get this question a lot from friends. It seems like many people struggle and stress about cooking raw shrimp. They always tell us a horror story about overcooked and rubbery shrimp with hardly any flavor- YUCK!
Well, we have a solution to your shrimp cooking troubles: Introducing the easiest way ever to cook raw shrimp.
This method is a combination of quick cooking and quick chilling (if you are going to eat the shrimp cold like in a shrimp cocktail) to prevent the shrimp from overcooking.
If you are using frozen shrimp (like Trader Joe’s frozen raw shrimp) make sure to thaw them before cooking. This is easily done by placing the shrimp in a plastic zip top bag, removing the air, and submerging the bag in a bowl of lukewarm water for about 20 or so minutes. We place another bowl on top of the shrimp to keep them under the water while we are thawing. Check the water every 5-7 minutes and add warm water when necessary.
What you need:
- 1# of raw shrimp (we like Trader Joe’s frozen raw shrimp) thawed if they are frozen
- 1 lemon cut in slices
1. Fill a 4 quart or larger pan with water and bring to a full rolling boil.
2. Add the lemon slices and the thawed raw shrimp. Stir a couple of times
3. Turn the stove off, cover the pan and leave to cook for 4-5 minutes. Now if you have super small shrimp, check them after 3-4 minutes of cooking- If you have very large shrimp, check them after 5 minutes they may need another minute or so. Shrimp are fully cooked when they are a solid “white” in the center.
4. Drain and the shrimp are ready to eat.
If you are going to serve the shrimp cold, place the hot cooked shrimp into a bowl of ice water, and stir for a couple of minutes, adding more ice if needed until the shrimp are cold to the touch. Refrigerate until you are ready to use them.
- “Old bay” type seasoning
- Trader Joe’s Taco seasoning
- Lemons and limes slices
You can add any of these items to the boiling water or to the shrimp once they are cooked.
We hope you enjoyed this easy way to cook raw shrimp. Now you will be able to cook and add shrimp quickly and easily to many meals. We like to eat shrimp in tacos, with pasta and tossed on a salad.
What is your favorite way to eat shrimp?