Here is a quick recipe to make a Creamy Potato Leek Soup.
It is one of our favorites. We were inspired to make this soup for two reasons: 1. A cool spring day in Tucson, and 2. We found the leeks at Trader Joe’s when we were shopping today. YEAH! Today really was a great day to enjoy this soup- it was windy and cloudy and cool- down to 65!
Also when we say “creamy” soup, we mean “smooth and creamy” texture, not with lots of milk or cream added – although, you certainly could add milk or cream to this recipe if you like. We like to add sour cream to the top of the soup in the serving bowl sometimes and swirl it around with our spoons as we eat Yummz!.
What you need/ Basic Ingredients (4 servings + leftovers):
- Trader Joe’s Trimmed Leeks
- Trader Joe’s Chicken broth or Vegetable broth (enough liquid to cover the potatoes and leeks)
- Potatoes- we used 4 medium sized red skinned potatoes
- Garlic- Trader Joe’s Garlic
- Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper, or Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
1. Wash the leeks to remove any dirt (see previous post-Trader Joe’s Trimmed Leeks)
2. Add a couple of spoons of olive oil to a deep pan and cook the leeks and garlic for a few minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and broth to cover the vegetables
4. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer and let cook until the potatoes are soft and falling apart.
5. Let cool off the heat for 30 minutes.
6. Blend the soup in small batches in your blender- Use caution when blending hot ingredients. You may need to add more stock or water if the soup is too thick.
7. Season with salt and pepper, reheat if you need to and serve.
- You can serve this soup cold with a spoonful of sour cream or yogurt.
- Add leftover vegetables to the pot before blending for a new flavor.
- Garnish soup with chives, green onions or parsley.
- Sprinkle with bacon or ham pieces
What will you add to your soup?